Monday, October 24, 2011

"Life" of Henrietta Lacks

I have recently finsihed the "Life" portion of the Henrietta Lacks book and I am blown away with how far science and technology has come in the past 60 years. I just couldn't believe that Gey built almost everything in his lab including his "air tight sterlie" room, it makes me wonder how sterlie those rooms actually were. I just couldn't imagine walking in to our tissue culture lab and seeing a sink made of stone or our incubator room made out of junkyard scraps. I also found interesting that in the book it says the biggest problem facing cell culture is contamination; even after all the advances science and technology have made, one of the biggest problems still facing cell culture is still contamination.
After reading this first section, I also have a better insight on why the public is so untrusting of scientists. After reading about all the different controversies that surrounded different scientific research, I know have a better understanding on why it takes so long for any type of research to be determined conclusive and beneficial for the general public.
I am really enjoying this book and I am looking forward to finishing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment