Saturday, October 15, 2011

Relevant Literature

I was actually a little bit late on finally purchasing the book, but now that I have I can't put it down. It is truly addicting. Rebecca Skloot did such an amazing job at capturing the different aspects of the life leading up to and the continuation of the HeLa cell line. My favorite thing about this book is that it is written in a manner that even without previous experience within the field of research and medicine anyone can appreciate this as a good read. Thus far with finishing the first part of the book it really makes me appreciate just how short of a time has passed in our country since the civil rights movement. To hear about things in a classroom setting and to read a descriptive narrative based in the time that doesn't seem that far away on a timeline but eons ago in an ethical stand point is quite sobering. It makes me have more of an appreciation for the views that my grandparents have that I myself find archaic. Also I was fascinated by the medical treatments of the time such as the pap smear just being developed and the manner in which Henrietta's cancer was treated with radium and also the differences in lab techniques. Overall I am thoroughly enjoying the book but my favorite aspect isn't even the book itself. I volunteer at St. Bernardine Medical Center when I have the time and I just wanted to comment on a Doctor I was speaking with this last Friday. I was telling him my goals and back story and he asked if I enjoyed reading. I told him I did and he recommended a few books for me to check out including "The Cry and the Covenant" which is a fictional depiction of Dr. Ignaz Semmelweiss in his attempts to popularize sterile technique prior to surgery, my next read. Then he asked me if I was currently reading anything and I told him that I was reading the Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks and he became excited because he too was currently reading it. It was just nice to have a more intellectual conversation with a professional as we divulged into the book for about thirty minutes analyzing what we'd read and what we knew as a back story and he told me of his own story as he actually attended medical school in 1954. This is probably one of my favorite projects I've had to do in college so far and it's nice to have something more in common with otherwise mildly intimidating professionals.

5 comments:

  1. I have another great book suggestion.
    In the winter I will be teaching a Molecular Genetics class on Cancer and I plan to require my summer favorite:
    The emperor of all maladies..
    I read it in 2 weeks. and took notes as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was actually another book that he mentioned right before we began evaluating The Immortal Life. Just judging from the reviews of the book and the rating it received on amazon.com I think it may be worth the $11.09 to buy it new.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know exactly what you mean Josh when it comes to the medical treatment that was given to patients back then, I cringed every now and then when reading the description of how Henrietta's cancer was treated.
    I also agree that this is a great project for our class because this is one of those rare times that the book we are required to read is actually a page turner.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find that listening to NPR always gives me something to talk about with academics.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cancer cells are my part of body. It is like my past. It does not matter how much I want to erase my past, it follows me until I die. If I hate them, they will hate me and do something bad to me--that how I feel. So I tell them that I love them and behave well if you want to live longer life with me. Sometimes I am silly, but so far it works and I am cancer free. Sometimes we need away from science and medical information to get a new idea in order to solve health problems.

    ReplyDelete