Friday, November 12, 2010

African-Americans and Science 2

Not only did African-American men undergo unethical medical studies in the Tuskegee syphilis study, but also African-American women were victims of unethical medical practices. What was called the Mississippi Appendectomies in which unnecessary hysterectomies were performed on poor black women to stop them from reproducing and to give doctors a chance to practice the procedure. What they did was wrong on so many levels. They pretty much considered African-Americans as pests and wanted to keep their numbers down. Again, how could people...DOCTORS do this to their patients? The doctors who allowed and performed these unnecessary hysterectomies on African-American women are pure evil in my eyes.

2 comments:

  1. When I read about things like this, I can never understand why or how someone can do such acts. I view it as selfish acts and missing something within to be able to do such things. But I will never be able to wrap my head around why people do the things they do. I'm still discovering that people don't think like I do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad that times have moved on. It's hard to imagine how human behavior reached this level not so long ago. I guess this comes to show how much society and the views of the majority have a significant impact on the minds and attitudes of individuals... a really dangerous notion.

    ReplyDelete