Monday, December 5, 2011

Racism...

Going back to the begining of the book, where Skloot describes how she first became aware of Henrietta Lacks is appalling...

"HeLa cells were one of the most important things that happened to medicine in the last hundred years," Defler said.
Then, matter-of-factly, almost as an afterthough, he said, "She was a black woman." He erased her name in one fast swipe and blew the chalk from his hands. Class was over.
As the other students filed out of the room, I sat thinking, That's it? That's all we get? There has to be more to the story....

I recall when I read this that I was amazed by the ignorance that was in society back in the days... Then a few days ago, I came across this youtube video which reminded me of this particular part of our HeLa books...

Just sharing this youtube clip to show how even though we have grown throughout the years, racism still exist!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQKFkxvhG_U

2 comments:

  1. yea.. racism isn't going anywhere

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second this motion. Racism is like your aunt Miriam who won't go away :) just kidding i don't have an aunt Miriam

    ReplyDelete