Wednesday, November 9, 2011

HeLa

This book is an awesome read. The detail of this book is great, especially when she gets in her tub and “inspects” herself. The slightest touch to the mass would make her bleed. However, Henrietta Lacks is truly an inspiring person. She went trough so much. At least for me, she truly wanted to get better yet she didn’t want her family to know. I know I wouldn’t be able to go through radiation treatments alone. What really touched me was when she asked her doctor if she would ever be able to have a child after her treatments. As you keep reading, her doctor informs her that she is infertile. TRAGIC. I don’t know if this is impacting me more than other people because I am a female and even if I don’t ever have children I would like to have the choice to do so.

Nevertheless, the ethics debate over HeLa cells is very interesting, yet sometimes I wonder if Gey would have not done what he did would we have ever cultured human cells? Even if we did, who knows how long it would have been before they were able to culture a human cell line. I am not choosing their side over Henrietta Lacks’ but it is just something the ponder about.

3 comments:

  1. I agree, it is a great read!
    Quite touching and impacting to myself as well. Henrietta Lacks is truly a strong and brave women to have gone through what she has gone through alone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is an interesting debate, because while everything we know about ethics today dictates that what happened was wrong, it left a monumental impact in the fields of science and medicine. I think that although, the story itself is a sad one, that if it didn't happen to Henrietta Lacks and her family, it would have to someone else later on. It took this case for us to become aware of ethics and personal rights when it came to research and testing protocols and we have learned much from it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is important to protect your body as you are young and have a beautiful future. If you involve not right person, a tragedy tends to happen. However, Hela cells live longer life and contribute our society to save lots of people. I feel that she is still living in this world or in my mind or people's mind.

    ReplyDelete