Sunday, November 13, 2011

Some thoughts..

I found it interesting that during a time of racism, HeLa cells were being used to help cure Polio for every American. African American researchers and technicians were working with the HeLa cells at the Tuskegee Institute and this was not only a scientific breakthrough but a social one as well. This goes to show that the contributions African Americans have made often go unnoticed. I thought it was also interesting that during Henrietta's burial a wild storm passed through and caused the death of one of her cousins. Was this just coincidence or was Henrietta making a statement? I did not know that the beginnings of virology relied on HeLa cells as well as the development of freezing cells.

1 comment:

  1. I think it is great that we can now acknowledge the great contributions her cells have made to science. I think it speaks a lot to the progress we have made in terms of racial acceptance as a society.

    ReplyDelete